top of page

Zoning &

Code Enforcement

Ken Taylor, Zoning Inspector
Phone: 419-669-6263 (Leave Message)


Permits are required when erecting any new building or structure or to relocate, enlarge or substantially alter any existing building, structure, or land; new permanent fence and/or change of configuration; providing or connecting onto water supply or sewage disposal facility; and chickens.  All permits must have detailed drawing attached and be completed by the property owner or signed letter of consent by property owner included with the permit.

Please contact the Zoning Inspector at 419-669-6263 or for any questions or more information such as setbacks, lot area, parking area in "R1" Residential District, "R2" Residential Multiple Housing District, "C" Commercial District, "M" Manufactured (Mobile) Home District, "I-1" Light Industrial/Manufacturing District, "I-2" Heavy or General Industrial/Manufacturing District.

Accessory Buildings (ex. sheds, temporary parking structures, movable storage units)

  • Permanent Accessory Buildings under 160sqft

    • 5 foot setback from the rear and side property line

    • Must be placed in rear yard

  • Permanent Accessory Buildings over 160sqft

    • 5 foot setback from the rear property line

    • 10 foot setback from the side property line

    • Must be placed in rear yard

  • Temporary Accessory Buildings

    • No longer than 18 feet in length

    • Must not exceed 160sqft

    • Cannot exist on property for a period exceeding 6 months

    • Must be placed in rear yard

    • Fee waived if use of temporary accessory building is less than 30 days, $30 Permit Fee if the temporary accessory building exists over a period of 30 days to 6 months

Animals in Residential Areas

  • 4H projects are permitted if approved by Weston Council, requests must be put in writing and include the signature of an appropriate 4H advisor or official

  • Chicken permits are $15 and must be renewed by June 15th of each year

  • Maximum number of chickens is not to exceed 6, and no roosters permitted

  • Chickens need to be contained in a coop constructed at least 10 feet from the property line and 15 feet from any dwelling; chickens are not permitted to run at large; must provide drawing of coop location in proximity to dwelling and property lines

  • No slaughtering of chickens within plain sight of neighbors or general public

Fencing in Residential Districts

  • Fencing permits $10

  • No closer than 6 inches from the property line, unless by written mutual consent of adjacent property owners

  • No barbed wire, electric current unless required by state or federal statutes

  • No greater than 4 feet and 1 foot off public right of way in the front yard, and not materially impede vision from driveways or street corners

  • No greater than 4 feet in the side yard, from the front lot line to the front of the primary structure

  • No greater than 6 feet in the side yard, from the front of the primary structure to the rear lot line

  • No greater than 8 feet in rear yard

Permit Fees


for projects under $15,000.
Projects over $15,000 cost $5+ sum of $2 per $1,000



must be renewed by June 15th each year





Code Enforcement

Why am I receiving a Notice of Violation?

Grass/Weeds in excess of 7 inches

What does this mean? 

  • Your property has been marked to have noxious weeds or grasses more than 7 inches in height.  

How do I remedy this? 

  • All weeds and grasses in the front yard, rear yard, side yard and verge/boulevard (right-of-ways); around poles, signs, curbs, fences, trees and other obstacles; must be removed within 5 days of notice.  Please keep yard debris (grass clippings) out of the roads and storm sewers.

Inoperable Vehicle(s) or parts of vehicle(s)

What does this mean? 

  • A passenger car, truck, utility trailer, camper, motor home, boat trailer, motorcycle, motorized bicycle or bicycle has been on your property for a period of longer than seven days which may fail to display a current vehicle registration plate and sticker; is not capable, or is unsafe for, use on public streets or highways because of defective or missing parts or components; is missing or has had removed any of its seats, doors, hood, trunk lid, engine, transmission or other drivetrain parts, or has flat or missing tires or wheels or broken or missing windows.  

How do I remedy this? 

  • Remove or cover the inoperable vehicle within 15 days of notice.


What does this mean? 

  • Your property does not have the following forms of litter in a private receptacle or has been sitting for longer than 14 days : Garbage- putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from handling, preparing, cooking and consuming food; Refuse- putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes, except body wastes, including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned or inoperable automobiles, and solid market and industrial wastes; Rubbish- nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and non-combustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin, cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery, and similar materials, including construction scraps and left-over materials from construction, repair, demolition or tear-down work, and including vehicle parts, such as, but not limited to, tires, wheels, engines and engine parts, transmissions, axles, body parts, seats, etc.  What is a private receptacle?  A private receptacle is a plastic or metal container of not more than 60 gallons capacity with tight-fitting lid covers; plastic bags may be substituted as private receptacles provided that when they are filled they are not torn open or leaking their contents and that the openings are tied or closed shut.  

How do I remedy this? 

  • The Village of Weston offers it's local residents a Heavy Trash Drop-Off day once/year.  This service is to help you get rid of large items you cannot normally dispose of in your regular refuse pickup.  The Village asks that any litter, as defined above, not be stored or kept on property for a period of longer than 14 days as this is a violation of §174.01 in the Weston Code as well as a health hazard to the community.  Remove litter within 15 days of notice.  To avoid this notice in the future, contact your refuse service ahead of time for special pick-ups, they typically do not pick up large items or items outside of bins/trash bags; or bring your litter to the Wood County Landfill (see enclosed information on landfill fees).  If you do not have a refuse service, please contact the Village office to get a list of local refuse services.


Please contact the Village for more details and how to remedy other nuisances that are not listed above.

Zoning Inspector/Code Enforcement

Ken Taylor | 419-669-6263

Village Clerk

Stephanie Monts | 419-669-3224

bottom of page